God, in the trouble of this world, in the confusion of rumor and news, in the anxiety of daily life, we pray that you will give us wisdom, that we may discern between good and evil.
Give us wisdom in selecting our leaders. We pray for Sri Lanka as they prepare for their Parliamentary election; and for Turkey where an unclear election result has led to an uncertain outcome. Give our leaders and those who have power over us both wisdom and compassion.
Give us discernment as we follow the daily news. Help us to have perspective. Help us to be open to new information. Help us to listen to differing voices, especially those of the powerless and the oppressed.
In the news this week, we pray
- for China, where a blast at a warehouse killed at least 50 people; and where the devaluing of the yuan has affected economies worldwide.
- for Greece as their leaders vote on a new bailout agreement.
- for Iraq, where a truck bomb in a market killed at least 67 people.
- for Argentina, where heavy rain and flooding has caused 11,000 people to be evacuated from their homes in the Buenos Aires province.
- for the Democratic Republic of Congo as they respond to a deadly measles outbreak.
- for Uganda as hundreds of LGBT people participated in a gay rights march in a country where homosexuality is illegal.
We give thanks for all those who use their gifts and talents in celebration and joy.
- for participants in the Little League World Series as teams from around the world meet to play in Pennsylvania, United States. May their competition yield friendship and respect.
- for the Christian, Jewish, and Muslim participants in the Interfaith Summer Course in Switzerland. May their dialogues yield peace and understanding.
May we be inspired by your wisdom, O God, to greater depths of knowledge, of mercy, and of faith. Amen.