In intercession we, the intercessors, need to know something of the circumstances to kindle our concern. God already knows it all, but it seems in the mystery of humanity where God has given us free will, he will not bypass this and treat us like robots. Our love and concern seem to open the way for God’s energy to flow into the world. Meister Eckert said: “Every act reveals God and expands God’s being.” We can think of intercession as expanding God’s being in every situation we open to Him. – Sr. Margaret Mary, SPB, in “Seeking God in the Silence”
So, God, source of all life and being, we bring our concerns for the world to You, that Your energy, light, and love may be unleashed to transform what is broken; to heal who and what are wounded; to make straight what is crooked and destructive; to build up and enliven what is good and true, that Your will may be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Lord, in the stillness of our deepest hearts beyond all words, lighten the darkness…
- Of those still struggling to cope and recover from the 100 mph winds in the UK, leaving more than 40,000 homes without power as sub-arctic temperatures move in and threatening severe floods in coastal areas
- The continuing slow recovery from the devastation of Typhoon Haiphen in the Philippines
- Cyclone Lehar in the Indian and Far Eastern countries and all other natural disasters
- As the world mourns the loss of Statesman Nelson Mandela and all he meant to South Africa, the world, and the devastation of apartheid
- Of those facing unremitting violence and unrest in so many countries including Thailand, Afghanistan, Mexico, Peru, Syria, Iraq, Zimbabwe, Somalia, Egypt, South Africa, the Central African Republic. These situations bring the words of Nelson Mandela to mind, “The time for the healing of the wounds has come. The moment to bridge the chasms that divide us has come.”
- Of those mourning the dead and wounded in the police helicopter crash on a pub in Glasgow, Scotland
- And we give thanks for all those, who forgetting themselves, run toward these disasters to help others
God, ever merciful and full of forgiveness, compassion and faithful love, bless and encourage…
- All aid workers helping others in disaster zones and also in our local communities often caring for the marginalized and forgotten
- All those relatives, friends, and care-takers providing loving support for those seemingly lost in dementia, but not lost to You
- Every act of kindness, love and selflessness, that it may spread a web of love and peace in the world to counteract the malign selfishness and greed encouraged by so many interests at this time of year
At this time of waiting and preparation for Your coming, remind us again daily that your way is not the way of power and domination, but of self-giving love and sacrifice for all. Challenge our narrow and often sadly judgmental views.
Remind us that because You chose to forsake all to come as a helpless human – to live and learn and grow as we do – you enabled Easter to happen. Your death and resurrection opened the gateway to reconciliation with You. Give us the courage to say “Yes” to You as Mary did when Gabriel came and disrupted her life with the news of what You wanted of her. This life we live is a construction zone for each one of us and also for Your world. Transform us, by Your light and love, into the people and world You created us to be.
Leave a Reply