The earth is the Lord’s and all that is in it,
the world, and those who live in it;
for he has founded it on the seas,
and established it on the rivers.
Holy One, you have created a magnificent universe.
We raise up prayers of thanksgiving for your manifold blessings.
Especially we give thanks for:
- People of science in China and the United States who have designed, launched, and landed rovers on the face of Mars to explore your creation in greater detail
- The reintroduction of Shark Bay bandicoots to the wild in Australia, an important benchmark for a nationally-threatened species, which had been locally extinct for over a hundred years
- Trials in strip mining alternatives in Borneo that could drastically reduce carbon footprints by drawing minerals out of sap from certain species of plants
Holy One, your creation waits with eager longing for the day of your transformation.
We raise up prayers for wholeness and renewal.
Especially we lift up:
- Refugees from and displaced people in Afghanistan who seek safety after the Taliban seized back control of the country
- The people of Madagascar who are suffering famine-like conditions driven by four years without rain
- All those around the world who are affected by another wave of COVID-19, that people may work together for the common good
Holy One, your redemption breaks through into our world even now.
We raise up prayers of praise for the ways you work through human hands.
Especially we praise you for:
- International organizations providing relief for the people of Haiti after a destructive earthquake
- Measures taken by local government and sculptors in Tuscany, Italy, to stop illegal trawling and preserve biodiversity in the region
- The “Recycle Your Electricals” campaign in Scotland, seeking to repair, recycle, or ethically scrap small electricals, getting items into the hands of those who need them while keeping rare minerals in the ground
Holy One, holy and mighty, holy and immortal, look upon us with mercy and joy.
Move us to work for the sake of this creation you call good, and be present with us in our struggles and our striving.
We lift these and all our prayers to you. Amen.
Leave a Reply